We commit to providing safe and supportive environments which nurture the wellbeing of all students and staff in our community, and hold firmly to the belief that they have a right to be safe, respected and valued in an inclusive environment. We know that when students are happy, they are more engaged with their learning.
Schools benefit from wellbeing initiatives and pastoral care support through Sydney Catholic Schools – in areas such as anti-bullying, positive behaviour, student counselling, refugee support and child protection – which range from universal support for all students, to targeted interventions for students with complex social and emotional needs.
At St Kevin’s Catholic Primary School Eastwood, we promote student wellbeing in many different ways:
- Our Stage 3 leadership program, Student Representative Council and Mercy Action Groups provide opportunities for our children to develop leadership skills and make a positive contribution to their learning.
- Year 5 and 6 lead groups from all grades in our peer support program. As well as teaching resilience, students build relationships across grades and foster networks throughout the school.
- Our buddy program builds supportive connections between Year 6 and Kindergarten children. It gives our senior students the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and for Kindergarten students, a friend who helps them to learn and play at school.
- A variety of lunchtime clubs and a quiet area for passive play are provided at recess and lunch for children who prefer an alternative to the playground at breaks.
- Our diverse learning team includes a school counsellor who provides support to students, staff and families.
Sydney Catholic Schools rejects all forms of bullying behaviours, including online (or cyber) bullying, by maintaining a commitment to providing safe, inclusive and respectful learning communities that promote student wellbeing for learning. Staff at Sydney Catholic Schools are committed to employing wellbeing strategies that allow for a healthy school environment where bullying is less likely to occur.
If your child is experiencing bullying of any kind, or you have a wellbeing concern, we have a number of support services available for parents/carers and students, as listed below.